Sunday, June 7, 2009

R. Kelly Explains Why His Next Album Will Go Untitled


If you buy an album, you can call it whatever you want — at least R. Kelly thinks so. In February, Kelly partied in Atlanta club the Velvet Room with Jazze Pha, DJ Infamous and others and told the crowd that his new album didn't have a name.

"ATL, what's up? I got my little brother right here, Jazze Pha," he said, standing in the VIP balcony. "I'm out here working on the mutha----in' album. I'm working on a new album, and I'm calling that mutha----a Untitled. Y'all call it what y'all want."

On Monday, the Pied Piper of R&B told MTV News why he decided to go the Nas route when titling his LP.


"I've been in the biz 17 years, so everyone is used to me naming my records," he said. "So I wanted to mix it up a little. I want whoever listens to the record to call it what they want, name it themselves based on what they feel listening to the music."

This week, Kelly drops his first-ever mixtape, The Demo Tape. "I took it all the way back to when I first started; all I had was my demo," he said of the street project. "It's a way to start fresh, be humble. It's like being a new artist. This is my demo tape for my fans."

Kelly worked with DJ Drama and DJ Skee on the project, which combines Kelly's remixes, previously unreleased joints and new cuts from the forthcoming album.

"He had reached out awhile ago for the mixtape," Drama said of Kelly's tape. "So I know it's been on his mind. I think it finally just came together for him. It's a song on there called 'Bangin' the Head Board.' Problem! He redid Dream's 'Kelly's 12 Play.' Ridiculous. He gave some exclusives from the album — it's some heat on there. Somebody that big doing a mixtape is dope. It's keeping the game alive. It's necessary."

Drama said he expects Kells to shoot videos for at least a couple of the tracks on the mixtape. "We're trying to go all the way," the man behind the Gangsta Grillz mixtape series revealed. "It would be better to take advantage of all forums at the moment."


No comments:

Post a Comment