Tuesday, June 30, 2009

50 Cent Talks About Staying Competitive & How Jay-Z Did Freeway Dirty


In a recent interview with XXL, 50 Cent explained why he has a lot of rappers CD's. He says his competitive nature makes him listen so he can stay in tuned with what's going on.

"A lot of different artists out there, they'd be surprised I got their CD. I play it because of the competitive nature, the art form; I don't shout it out or let 'em know I'm listening. You know, I just let it stay there because it might cause them to say something that makes me have to compete with them. You gotta kind of stay in-tune to what's going on in order to continue to be successful and when. Sometimes I lose interest in what's going on with the hood people, I just want to make what I want to make and make it from my perspective. Only way you really get a chance to do that is when you're leading. You're in the lead position and consistent, you stay there. They'll be conscious of you, but you don't have to pay them no mind."

Fif, whose never been one to shy away from controversy even commented on newcomer Drake and how Jay-Z did his own artist, Freeway dirty. In another interview with Funkmaster Flex on New York's Hot 97, the G-Unit general spoke candidly about Freeway's album and how it was a joint project between the G-Unit general and his Rocafella counterpart.

"Lil Wayne has that new kid, what's his name, Drake, the kid is coming up. I heard Jay-Z got him on his single, right? That was ill, like, that was fast! For him to put him on his single, like that's ill. I don't know if he's rhyming or singing but the fact that he's on it is hot. Like that was a fast come-up. Jay won't even rap on his own artists and be in the video with 'em. Freeway, he did Freeway dirty. In the Freeway project, we were doing something together. It was all of us together, Jay had a record with Freeway and I said if you shoot that one, I'll shoot the one that I did with him and we'll make the video.' Now tell me that ain't the perfect scenario for Freeway."

The album 50 Cent spoke about was Freeway's 2007 release Free At Last. The lead single, Rocafella Billionaires, was produced by Dame Grease and featured Jay-Z but no video was ever shot for the single. 50 Cent was also featured on the album on a song called Take It To The Top. The album was supposed to be co-executive produced by Jay-Z and 50 Cent, but only Jay's name appears in the albums credits as executive producer. Despite those features and other notable appearances by Jadakiss, Scarface, Busta Rhymes and Rick Ross the album has only sold a little over 100,000 copies despite being critically acclaimed.

No comments:

Post a Comment